Saturday, July 25, 2026

Don't fast forward this one: My 'Ebenezer' trailer reaction

Johnny Depp as Ebenezer Scrooge in the upcoming film "Ebenezer" scheduled to come out November 2026.

A trailer dropped a few days ago (July 23rd) for yet another film based on Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol." This time, Johnny Depp takes on the role of Ebenezer Scrooge, adding his name to the long list of actors who have portrayed the cynical and miserly moneylender who famously disdains not only Christmas but also the joy and selflessness that come with the holy day.
I have a bit of an obsession with movie adaptations of "A Christmas Carol" and which movie best captures Dickens's story. 
Just last Christmas, I even took an online course from Hillsdale College on "A Christmas Carol" to better understand the story and Dickens's purpose in writing it. The course was free! I recommend it.
When I first watched this trailer, I paid more attention to Depp's depiction of Scrooge than anything else.
From reading the book nearly every Christmas, I don't think the character of Ebenezer Scrooge is the kind of Victorian English businessman who shouts and yells like an emotional basket case in an attempt to convince people he doesn't like Christmas. Scrooge simply carries himself as a prideful businessman who considers himself superior to those wasting money on Christmas frivolities. He's cynical about Christmas and those who are foolish and irresponsible enough to celebrate it.
To rant and yell and go out of his way to make others miserable wouldn't benefit him as a man of business. He's more interested in working to put money from other people's pockets into his own... as it were, sir. Who would do business with a constantly irate and unstable old man? 
Depp looks like he's playing the stereotypical Scrooge who's just angry and hates Christmas. To me, that doesn't make much sense for the character. It's not a faithful translation of Dickens's Scrooge. However, this version looks like it'll explore a side of Scrooge perhaps not previously depicted. After all, the trailer says, "The name you know...the story you don't." Ok, I'm curious where this'll go. 
If you want to see a fantastic and accurate depiction of Scrooge, check out the 1984 film "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge. Of course, it goes without saying that Alastair Sim's classic performance in the 1951 film "Scrooge" is also truly outstanding. Sim captures Scrooge's pride perfectly.
I discussed the 1951 film last Christmas in a post where I shared my thoughts on several cinematic versions of "A Christmas Carol." You can check out that post in the link below.
As for Scott's film, I'll get to that review next Christmas, as I have another post in the works looking at a couple more movie versions of the story that I want to comment on. 
By the way, I'm excited about another post I'm currently writing covering various film versions of Dickens's other famous novel, "Oliver Twist." 
I'm hoping to finish that post by December. But I'm getting off topic now. 
Anyway, this upcoming film looks darker and more terrifying than previous adaptations, especially considering that Ti West is directing this movie.
West has quite a few horror films on his résumé, including "The House of the Devil" (2009), "The Innkeepers" (2011), "V/H/S" (2012), "The ABCs of Death" (2012), and the slasher film "X" (2022), along with its prequel "Pearl" (2022) and the third and final installment in the trilogy, "MaXXXine" (2024). And now this horror director is directing, "A Christmas Carol."
There's been a recent surge in the horror film genre of turning otherwise innocent intellectual properties into slasher movies, such as, "Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey," "Mickey's Mouse Trap," "Popeye the Slayer Man," and the slasher take on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" titled "The Mean One."
I wouldn't be surprised if Ebenezer has a horror twist of some kind in this upcoming movie.
Based on this trailer, it looks like the filmmakers may be turning up the paranormal tension and scares.
Maybe the ghosts will put ol' Ebenezer through a torturous ordeal the likes of which haven't been seen in previous film adaptations. Something will surely need to distinguish this version from the many others, lest it become just another adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" tossed into the annual online debate over which version best captures Dickens's novel.
Despite my reservations, I admit I'm a sucker for a good scary movie. While I hope Ti West's film truly respects the source material and the reason Dickens wrote it in the first place, the trailer has certainly piqued my curiosity. I'm just as interested to see how Johnny Depp approaches Scrooge. There seems to be a comedic element to his performance. Maybe audiences will see Scrooge for the fool he is while Scrooge continues to see himself as the only sensible man in a city full of fools. All in all, I'm looking forward to it despite my doubts. I can thank this obsession of mine for that.

For more Christmas Carol commentary, click the link here - Tidings of Comfort, Joy, and Too Many Christmas Carol movies: The Multiverse of Scrooges

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't fast forward this one: My 'Ebenezer' trailer reaction

Johnny Depp as Ebenezer Scrooge in the upcoming film "Ebenezer" scheduled to come out November 2026. A trailer dropped a few days...